The Simple System Rules of Feeding
The traditional Rules of Feeding were devised in order to minimise the impact of feeding the horse on starchy grains and pulses that are actually alien to them. If more natural forages are fed, many of the rules do not apply, so here is our updated list:
- The horse is a grazing animal, so forage should be available at all times.
- Feed a forage feed, ideally based on lucerne, directly before work.
- Always use good quality feeds.
- Analyse your hay in order to make good use of this under-valued feed.
- Ensure all feed bowls and utensils are clean.
- Adjust feed according to the horse’s condition – condition score or weigh tape weekly.
- Adjust feed according to work load.
- Forage feeds have no limit to meal size.
- Always at least dampen the feeds and ideally, soak them.